Navigating the expansive roadways of the Sunshine State is both an adventure and a challenge for long haul truckers. From bustling urban areas like Tampa and Orlando to scenic coastal roads, Florida offers a diverse driving experience. To ensure a seamless and efficient journey, truckers can engage in various activities and preparations. Here’s a guide for trucking in Florida:
- Mapping Routes in Advance: Use truck-specific GPS units or apps like TruckRouter to map out the most efficient routes that account for weight restrictions, height restrictions, and avoid low bridges or tight spots.
- Checking Traffic Updates: Sites like Florida’s 511 Traveler Information System provide real-time traffic updates, road closures, and construction zones, helping truckers avoid potential delays.
Timing Your Drive
- Avoiding Rush Hours: Cities like Miami, Orlando, and Tampa can have hectic rush hours. Timing your drive to bypass these cities during peak hours can save you a significant amount of time.
- Utilize Rest Stops Efficiently: Florida offers a series of well-maintained rest areas. Plan your breaks to coincide with these facilities for a safer, more comfortable stop.
- Monitor Weather Forecasts: Particularly during hurricane season, staying updated with accurate weather forecasts can help you avoid dangerous conditions.
- Equip Your Truck: Ensure your truck has adequate rain gear, including functional wipers and water-resistant seals.
Staying Entertained & Alert
- Audiobooks and Podcasts: Long drives can be made more enjoyable by listening to engaging audiobooks or podcasts. Subjects range from trucking news to just about anything you can imagine.
- Stretching & Quick Workouts: Utilize your breaks to engage in quick stretching routines or brief workouts to keep the blood flowing and stave off fatigue.
Connecting with Fellow Truckers
- CB Radios: These remain an invaluable tool for communication on the road. Share real-time updates about road conditions or get recommendations for nearby truck stops or eateries.
- Trucking Forums & Social Media Groups: Connect with other truckers driving in Florida. Share experiences, gather insights, and even coordinate convoy trips for company.
- Rest Well: Recognize when you’re feeling tired and ensure you’re well-rested before hitting the road.
- Stay Hydrated: Florida’s heat, especially in summer, can be punishing. Keep plenty of water in your truck and drink regularly.
- Wildlife Caution: In certain rural parts of Florida, be alert for wildlife like deer or even alligators crossing the road, especially during dawn and dusk.
Enjoy the Scenery
- Take Scenic Routes When Time Allows: Routes such as the A1A Coastal Byway offer breathtaking views of Florida’s coastline.
- Photo Stops: Capture moments from unique vantage points that only truckers often get to witness. But ensure you stop in safe, designated areas before snapping away.
Driving through Florida as a long haul trucker can be a rewarding experience with the right preparations and activities. Keeping safety at the forefront, combined with strategic planning and taking time to enjoy the journey, ensures that truckers can have a smooth and memorable trip through the state.
All American Sleeper carries the most complete line of truck body parts in Central Florida. We carry parts for all the major truck body manufacturers including but not limited to Morgan, Supreme and Smyrna, to name just a few. We carry a complete line of truck body parts from roofing, rails, top radius, roof bows, corner caps, flooring, door panels, door kits and all door hardware.